Havenville, Burlington 1875

Havenville, Burlington 1875

Friday, August 20, 2010

Havenville Hollow

Hi! Before we dive into the history of Havenville, I would like to mention one of the biggest reasons for this blog. I am trying to have the old Wildwood School fields (now empty) named Havenville Hollow. I think it has a nice sound and would be a great way to recognize the historical significance of the area. I have been inquiring as to what town board or committee would be responsible for such a decision and believe that it falls under the recreation department. If anyone has a contact it would be really helpful. I hope to get blogging on the historical stuff over the weekend so stay tuned...

4 comments:

  1. Please let me know how I can help I know someone at the Recreation Department...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Mary AI live in Everett on wolcott st years earlier there was a wall and people slept on cots hence the name wolcott Im trying to get the section named wolcott willows because they tore down the wall and planted willow trees! Yeah any help you could give would I would be grateful...
    (just kidding great blog goodluck!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion, Havenville Hollow sounds like something out of Icabod Crane - there is no way this should be the name of Wildwood. You have lived here for 20 years - think about all the children that attended Wildwood School - I cannot imagine that they would want the name changed. If anything, it should be Wildwood Park. I have lived in Burlington for 39 years and do not want to see the name changed. Sandra Madigan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandra,
    Thanks for your comment. At the Rec Dept meeting last night it was decided to strike the Hollow part from the proposal so that has been removed. The name Havenville is all that we are attempting to promote now. My children also attended Wildwood and it was in fact the reason we moved to the area to be near a school. I was very disappointed when it closed and even more disappointed when it was ignored and neglected and fell into decay. I have had fifteen years to get used to it being gone. The fact is the Havenville history goes much futher back. Thanks for your imput. Peace!

    ReplyDelete